Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Guest Speaker Gary Noy

Who would of known that Sacramento was the beginning of the Sierra Nevada...?! I definatly had no idea...

After hearing Gary Noy speak on the Sierra Nevada, it really made me appreciate the history of California and being proud to live in Northern California. I love the beauty of the Sierra Nevada's, but I never thought of them as such an interesting area. I have driven through them countless times, and always just thought of them as "another mountain range." After hearing Gary Noy speak, it really made me feel a little ashamed realizing that I live in this beautiful mountain range and know nothing about it. I knew mining happened here in the Sierra Nevada, but I had no idea of what a big role it played in the Women's freedom to outdoor activities, Entertainment industry, or how it was the first skiing anywhere to this area. It is amazing what history was made here in California. Gary Noy really made me understand and appreciate the Sierra Nevada. I was astonished when I heard the 2/3 of California's water comes from this area, and how we supply most of California's water. Another main fact that I thought was intresting from the discussion, is that some of the oldest trees in the world are in the Sierra Nevada. It is sad to me that in early 1800's, people removed trees to prove their strenghth to nature.

Sitting back and hearing/feeling exactly the words Gary Noy expresed really made me want to read about the Sierra Nevada and educate myself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment