Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Guest Speaker Mike Thorton

After listenig to Mike Thorton speak of the toxic legency of gold mining, it really made me think. I have never showed an intrest to gold mining. I knew that gold mining originated in Coloma, Ca. I always just thought it was a way of living in the early years. After listening to Mike Thorton and hearing the details of gold mining, it shocked me a little bit. I had no idea that gold mining was so dangerous to us and out enviorment. Hearing that the Sierra soil is host to mercury and asbestos, and lead due to the Gold Rush was a information that I had no idea about. What also shocked me is to learn that the government has permitted schools, buildings, basketball courts, etc. to be built over old mines and homes we live in to be built over abandoned mines is quite shocking. It is definalty a scary thing to know how exposed our lives are to these hazardous materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment